One of the handiest features of the Apple Watch is the Find My iPhone button. To use your find your iPhone with your Apple Watch, follow these steps:
- From the watch view of your phone, swipe up from the bottom to access glances.
- Swipe from the left side of your watch to the right until you see a screen like the screen shot below. This is called the Settings Glance.
- Tap the ringing photo button indicated by the screenshot above. Your phone will chime and your watch face will indicate that it is pinging your iPhone, as in the screen shot below.
- If you’d like the LED light (the camera flash on the back of your phone to light up in addition to the chime sounding, tap the ping iPhone button and don’t release your tap.
Trouble Shooting: Find Your iPhone with Your Apple Watch
- Your watch can only find your iPhone if they are connected via Bluetooth or the same WiFi network. If you leave your phone across town, your Apple Watch won’t be able to locate it. Similarly, if your iPhone is in Airplane mode or the Bluetooth and WiFi are turned off, the watch won’t be able to find the phone. In other words, you must see the word “Connected” on this Settings view.
- Your watch might also be in Airplane Mode. If the airplane on the Settings screen is yellow, tap it to exit Airplane Mode.
- Do you have your phone muted? You won’t hear the ping. You’ll need to use the long tap to turn on the LED.
- Nothing happens when you long tap? Remember than a long tap isn’t the same as a Force Touch or hard tap. Lightly touch the ping button and hold your finger there for about 2 seconds. Repeat until you find your iPhone.
Quick Summary: Find Your iPhone with Your Apple Watch
To use your Apple Watch to find an iPhone, swipe up and to the left until you reach the settings glance. Tap the ringing phone icon and listen for that ping!